SAPD’s Halloween Safety Tips
Halloween has been celebrated on October 31 in the United States since the early 1800’s and is traditionally a family-oriented holiday when children (big and small) get to dress up and enjoy candy and other treats. In order to assist the San Angelo community in enjoying this fun-filled holiday as safely as possible, the San Angelo Police Department has compiled the following Halloween safety tips for children and their parents.
- Costumes should be made of light-colored, fireproof material.
- Children should wear proper fitting, comfortable costumes and shoes.
- Props such as toy guns or swords should be made of pliable material.
- Realistic replica firearms should never be used.
- Masks should not be worn if they impair vision.
- Wigs should be fireproof and should not restrict vision.
- Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers.
- Children should trick-or-treat during daylight hours.
- Children should never be allowed to go out alone on Halloween.
- Parents should know what route their children will be taking.
- Set a specific time limit for your children to be out on Halloween night.
- Advise children that they should never enter strangers’ homes.
- Never invite children into your home.
- Children should never accept rides from strangers.
- Children should walk, not run, during their trick-or-treat activities.
- Put electronic devices down and keep heads up and walk, don’t run, across the street.
- Children should never take shortcuts through backyards or alleys.
- Children should always use sidewalks, not the street, for walking.
- Children should look in all directions before crossing the street.
- Instruct children not to stray from their group.
- A responsible adult should escort children while trick-or-treating.
- Adult escorts should carry flashlights.
- Don’t leave your home unattended on Halloween night.
- Keep pets inside your home, or other safe place on Halloween night.
- Give wrapped homemade treats only to children you know.
- Children should never eat any treats until they have been examined.
- All fruit should be cut and closely examined before eating.
We hope you have a spooktacular time!